Canada   View map


  • Canada Overview

    Ranked amongst the top 10 countries since 2004 in the Quality of Life Index by the United Nations, Canada is known for its excellent education institutions, multiplicity of top quality education programs in various streams and an innovative economy. It has also been ranked #1 by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) for its achievements in higher education.

    Canada is an enclave of diverse people, lifestyles and majestic landscapes, and is one of the safest destinations for pursuing education. A multicultural country with easy access to education and affordable living, thousands of international students flock to Canada each year to study in Canada.

    Canada fosters diversified study options at Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma and Master levels.

    The most popular Canadian provinces for pursuing education are Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec that house the top universities of Canada. And the fact that Canada has a number of SPP Colleges for Indian students makes it a highly favored study destination.

    Study in Canada

    The tertiary education system in Canada is divided into:

    •   Certificate level, generally for a year
    •   Diploma level, for one or two years
    •   Advanced Diploma, generally two or three-year programs
    •   Bachelor degrees, awarded after four years of full-time study
    •   Post-graduate Diplomas/Certificates, for one or two years of study
    •   Master’s degrees, available after a bachelor degree to excel in a certain subject, for one to two years
    •   Doctorate or PhD, generally four to seven years


    The main intake is September and many Universities and Colleges have a January intake.

    Admission Criteria

    • Diploma/Certificate courses
      • Flexible admission
      • IELTS score : 6.0 / 6.5 overall – As per the course and institution requirement
    • For Post-Graduate/Masters courses
      • 2-3 years full time work experience
      • GMAT: 580-600 min.
      • IELTS score: 6.5 overall with no bands less than 6 / As per the course and institution requirement
      • 4 yr Bachelors degree, 70% aver.
      • Some institutions may require written samples/copies of published work/Portfolio
    • For Undergraduate/Bachelors level
      • 70% in 12th grade
      • 12th grade level Maths

    Visa Requirements

    The student permit (student visa) allows an individual to enter Canada as a full time student and must be enrolled in a program of study that culminates in a degree, diploma or certificate and the institution should be listed under Designated Learning institutions (DLI) list authorized by CIC. (Citizenship and Immigration Canada). There are three categories where students can file their visa applications which are:

    • S.P.P (India only)
    • General
    • University


    • Signed Application Form and payment of Application Fee
    • Statement of Purpose (SOP)
    • CV
    • Passport
    • Passport-size photographs
    • Unconditional letter of acceptance
    • Fees receipt (recommended)
    • Scholarship letter (if applicable)
    • Any relevant correspondence with the institution
    • Financial documents
    • Academic documents
    • Test scores
    • Work experience certificates (if applicable)
    • Medical report (if already undertaken).

    Working in Canada

    During your studies

    Students do not need to apply for a separate work visa to work off-campus, and are eligible to work as soon as their program of study begins.

    After graduation

    International graduates have the opportunity to work in Canada for up to three years following the completion of their program.

    To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you would like to look into staying in Canada as a permanent resident after you finish your studies, there are several programs available, each with its own requirements.

    Get a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWPP)

    The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry.

    A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

    Qualify for PR

    CIC assesses federal skilled worker applications based on six selection factors.

    If you score 67 points or higher (out of 100), you may qualify to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker.

    Point grids for each factor:

    English and/or French skills




    Arranged employment in Canada



As with most countries the student must pass the financial viability test. Finance must be shown (‘Show Money’) for Fee Tuition Living Expenses and Insurance.

The following table shows the minimum amounts that you will need.

Number of persons All provinces except Quebec Quebec
Single student Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month) Tuition plus $11,000 for a 12-month period (or $917 per month)
+ one family member $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month) $5,100 more for a person 18 years of age or older for a 12-month period (or $425 per month)

$3,800 more for a person under 18 years of age for a 12-month period (or $317 per month)

+ each additional family member $3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month) $5,125 more for a person 18 years of age or older for a 12-month period (or $427 per month)

$1,903 more for a person under 18 years of age for a 12-month period (or $159 per month)

Money in Bank should be 4 months old.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *