USA   View map



The United States of America (also referred to as the United States, the U.S., the USA, or America) borders Canada to the north, Mexico to the south, the North Atlantic Ocean to the east, and the North Pacific Ocean to the west. At roughly 9.8 million square kilometers, the U.S. is the world’s third-largest country in size and population and one of the most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations.

Life In USA

For the 10 Lakh foreign students, life in USA is secure, peaceful and rewarding with excellent standards of living and friendly people and world class educational institutions.

Work experience is a valuable aspect of study in the USA and there are a number of options for students to work during and after study.

Facts About USA

  •   Currency is the US Dollar (USD/$)
  •   International dialling code is +1
  •   Population is 320 million

Capital: Washington, D.C.

Independence Day: July 4, 1776

Motto: In God We Trust

National Bird: Bald Eagle

National Flower: Rose

National Anthem: The Star-Spangled Banner

Area: 9.6 million sq km (India – 3.3 m sq km)

Education In The USA

The United States has one of the world’s finest university systems, with outstanding programs in virtually all fields. At the undergraduate level, excellent programs exist in traditional disciplines, as well as in professional fields. At the graduate level, students have the opportunity to work directly with some of the finest minds in their field of study, with the chance to become involved with exclusive research and educational opportunities. U.S. degrees are recognized throughout the world for their excellence.

Intake Dates

A Fall semester starts in September and ends in December, while the Spring semester begins in January and ends in May. Most of the times, the semester available is not a choice as most of the popular and important courses commence only with the Fall semester. The reason why Fall semester is so popular is because the scholarships and financial aids are aimed at this semester. There are not many financial aid opportunities as well as job opportunities available for the Spring semester, as those who join in the second semester will be considered as less experienced and knowledgeable as those who joined in the Fall.

Which Intake Season to Choose: Fall or Spring?

If you are aiming at the Fall semester, you should start your research from April. Then around June you can consider appearing for the exams required for admission. However if you are planning to apply to the Spring semester, then research should be done around August, exam should be dealt with by September-October.

List Of Universities

The U.S. Department of Education does recognize organizations it considers to be valid accrediting agencies. Another group, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), also recognizes accrediting agencies.

So, an accredited school is generally considered to be a school accredited through a group that is recognized by the Department of Education, CHEA, or both.

ISR works with reputable Universities throughout the United States, so that students have the option to choose their preferred course of study at the location of their choice.

Eligibility Criteria

Most U.S. colleges and universities require that you take one or more standardized admissions tests in order to gain entrance into their programs. SAT, ACT, GRE, MCAT, LSAT, TOEFL, IELTS.

Academic Eligibility

Every University/College has different academic eligibility criteria. We will match your profile to the University/College best suited to your requirements and will advise the entry criteria when the University/College is selected.

Financial Stability
You will need to show that you can support yourself without having to work.

Health Insurance
You may have to show proof of health insurance in order to cover any medical expenses should you need any medical assistance.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT STUDY/WORK Rights – Depends on the type of Visa that is issued.

Types of International Student Visas
F1 Visa – Academic Studies

The “F” visa is for academic studies. An F1 visa is issued to students who are attending an academic program or English Language Program. F1 visas are by far the most common form of international student visa in the U.S. F1 students must maintain the minimum course load for full-time student status. F-1 status allows for part-time, on-campus employment (fewer than 20 hours per week) and full time during the holiday periods. Additionally, students can work on optional practical training (OPT) for up to one year after completion of their academic program in a study related job.

Extensions of OPT
H-1B Visa and Cap Gap Extensions

A cap-gap extension extends an eligible F-1 student’s status between the end of F-1 status while on OPT and start of H-1B status. This allows the student to remain in the U.S. during the “gap.”

17-Month STEM Extensions

Students who have received a U.S. Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields, are eligible for a one-time, 17-month extension of post-completion OPT (for a total eligibility of up to 29 months).

J1 Visa – Practical Training

A J1 visa is issued to students who need to obtain practical training that is not available in their home country to complete their academic program. J-1 student status may allow for work off campus, as long as permission is given by the exchange visitor program sponsor. Students may work 20 hours per week during study and full time during the holiday period.

M1 Visa – Non-Academic / Vocational Studies

An M1 visa is issued to a student who is going to attend a non-academic or vocational school. M-1 visa holders for technical and vocational programs are not permitted to work during the course of their studies. The M-1 student visa applicants must have evidence that sufficient funds are immediately available to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of intended stay.

H-1B Visa – Working in the USA

The H-1B is a non-immigrant visa in the United States. It allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. The regulations define a “specialty occupation” as including but not limited to biotechnology, chemistry, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, law, accounting, business specialties, theology, and the arts. The foreign worker must possess at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and state licensure, if required to practice in that field. H-1B work-authorization is strictly limited to employment by the sponsoring employer.

Required Documents

For a preliminary review, please complete the International Student Recruitment Registration Form. This will enable us to make an assessment and provide feedback.

The Academic Year generally starts in September. (There are also June and January intake options available). Because the process to secure a Scholarship is time consuming, we prefer the required documents by end June for the main September intake.

Documents For Admission

For an initial assessment, please send us the ISR Registration Form, following the assessment and after the University is selected we require:

  • DD for the Application Fee.
  • Educational Documents – we need Marksheets (10th/12th / Diploma Grad/PG/Masters). Please include any other Certificates i.e. IELTS, Short Courses, First Aid etc.
  • CV/Resume.
  • Students without IELTS have to provide a letter from High School / College stating the medium of instruction was English.
  • Statement of Purpose (SOP). We will provide assistance with this document.
  • Passport (First & Last Page).
  • Recommendation Letters (2) – Academic/Work Experience/Personal.
  • Photo (Passport Size)
  • Work Experience Letters (especially if there is any gap after study).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *